Our Lady of Lourdes School participates in the National School Lunch Program ensuring healthy meal options are offered daily
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
Q. When does my child eat lunch?Grades EC-4 Lunch 11:24AM – 11:44AM Recess 11:44AM-12:04PM Grades 5-8 Recess 11:24AM – 11:44AM Lunch 11:44AM-12:04PM
Q. What lunch options are available to my child?
A. We offer a hot lunch for the student, which meets the dietary guidelines and regulations. Milk is available with lunch and for students who bring their own lunch.
Q. What are the lunch prices?
A. Hot Lunch (includes one milk)EC-8 Student $3.65 Student Reduced Lunch $0.40 Guest/Adult $4.35 Milk $0.50
Q. When must my child select his lunch option?
A. When the teachers take attendance at the start of each school day, a lunch count will be taken. If a child did not bring a lunch, they must indicate if they are taking Hot Lunch. This is required to ensure adequate portions of food are prepared.
Q. How can I find out the balance of my child’s account and his or her purchase history?
A. Computerized lunch accounts are used to access the lunch program. The student’s PowerSchool ID number is used to access the account. To make deposits to their account, please write a a check to GRACE with the Student ID number/name on the envelope and send to the school office. To make payment by credit card, please call or visit the school office.
Q. My family qualified for free/reduced-priced meals last year. Do I need to do anything for this school year?
A. Yes, unless you have received an eligibility notification letter for direct certification, every year a new application needs to be completed.
Students are grandfathered in from last year for the first 30 calendar days of the school year.
To avoid disruption in your child’s status, a new application should be received in the district office by September 15.
If your financial status changes during the school year you may apply for free/reduced priced meals at anytime.
Additional information and the required forms for free/reduced meals are available here.
Q. What are Nut Free tables?
A. We offer peanut/nut free areas in our lunch room for anyone who may have a life-threatening allergy to peanuts and peanut products. These tables are clearly marked with a sign. Anyone may sit at these tables who do not have nut products in their lunch.
Q. Can a parent/guest have lunch with child at school?
A. Yes, please contact the school office or Food Service Director by 8:45AM, if you wish to eat lunch with your child. Also, please specify your selection (hot lunch or salad bar lunch). We ask that you please do not bring fast food or pizza into the cafeteria.
Q. What are the dietary guidelines?
A. The Child Nutrition program implemented new guidelines in meal nutrition standards. These changes ensure that meals are healthy, well-balanced and provide students the nutrition they need to be successful at school and educate them to develop healthy life-long eating habits.
The new standards include:
- Larger portions and greater variety of fruits and vegetables. Students are required daily to take 1/2 c. fruit or 1/2 c. vegetable with their lunches daily.
- A wider variety of vegetables that include dark green, red/orange vegetables and beans/legumes. Rich in fiber, vitamins and minerals that help students achieve and maintain optimal health/nutrition.
- Age-appropriate calorie limits and portion sizes for managing and maintaining body weight and growth/development.
- Half of the grains (breads, pasta, rice, cereal and other breakfast foods) offered to students will be whole grain rich.
- Milk offered to students will be fat-free or 1% milk (flavored milk must be fat-free).Schools will also be required to limit the levels of saturated fat, sodium and trans fats in meals.
- Water will be accessible during lunch service to ensure students stay hydrated throughout the day and to encourage daily water consumption instead of high calorie beverage consumption.
Please contact Mrs. Lisa Calaway, Our Lady of Lourdes Food Service, with any questions regarding the school lunch program.