All students are busy preparing for the Christmas Concert, Thursday, December 13 at 6:30 in the OLOL gym. Students should arrive in their classrooms no later than 6:15 PM. In addition to nice concert dress, all students should plan to wear one of the following items during their performance: winter hat, scarf, or gloves/mittens. See you there!
In 5th grade music class, we have learned about dynamics and the brass family (including a lesson on the Science of Sound). Now, we are working on some of our first compositions!
Students should be able to tell you the purpose of this fun song we learned last year!
5th Grade Keywords:
- Dynamics: how loud or soft music sounds
- Piano: soft
- Forte: loud
- -issimo: an Italian suffix that means “very”
- Pianissimo: very soft
- Fortissimo: very loud
- Crescendo: gradually get louder
- Decrescendo: gradually get softer
- Conductor: the leader who directs a group of musicians
- Embouchure: the way you form your lips to play a wind instrument
- At any age, the best thing you can do as a parent to encourage and develop musical talents and interests is to expose your children to music and musical opportunities. Even if you don’t feel you sing well, sing anyway! Singing is like anything…it requires practice. The more you sing, the better you will get and your children will follow your example.
- 5th graders should be expected to sing in church…encourage them by leading the way!
St. Cecilia, pray for us!